Media and publishing
Enabling high-performance content delivery while accelerating event-driven content and powering APIs.
Varnish Software solutions for media and publishing
The shift to digital platforms has not always been seamless for the traditional media and publishing industries. While entire ecosystems of digitally native media outlets have emerged, traditional media companies and publishers have begun to adopt sophisticated but flexible technology to adapt its properties for increasingly demanding users.
At its most basic, media and publishing industry players need to guarantee high-performance content delivery, speed and performance, all of which are becoming increasingly complex. Ultimately delivering user satisfaction drives these media outlets forward, but ensuring this satisfaction grows exponentially more difficult the larger the user base/number of subscribers, content types and other challenges, ranging from custom content invalidation to implementation of paywalls and content monetization strategies. With larger media channels, managing content and performance across web servers, data centers and networks of CDNs adds another layer of complexity.
Visitors and subscribers expect content to load quickly, no matter where they are, across their device portfolio. Content caching is at the heart of ensuring high performance delivery. Caching also enables the scalability and content availability required for highly in-demand media. When major news events occur and drive five or ten times the normal traffic levels to a website, the site is under unusual stress, and under these circumstances, users demand reliability and the most up-to-date content even more than they normally do.
But there are solutions to help optimize website and multimedia performance and real-time content updates.
Varnish Plus for media and publishing helps enable:
- Real-time custom purging to update rapidly changing content and headlines
- Accelerated web speed and performance to ensure a smooth user experience
- Scalability and high availability to handle any level of user traffic visits, even during major news events
- Device detection to ensure a smooth user experience on any device
- Paywall implementation to introduce content monetization strategies (more than 20 newspapers use Varnish Plus for paywall solutions)
- Content access control and authentication offering to meter site traffic, allowing for hard and soft paywalls
- Real-time statistics to ensure that you are delivering the right content to the right audience.
The Varnish API Engine for media and publishing enables:
- API management (authorizations and authentication of access to APIs, etc.) while ensuring performance does not suffer
- The opportunity to shift from a traditional website/publisher role into an “information engine”, the future-proof, digitally oriented direction media outlets are moving toward already.
- Keep cost structures down - implement Varnish Plus and caching services as an efficiency tool. Reduce the number of expensive web servers required.
- Implement soft or hard paywalls - give users a limited amount of access to content for free before hitting the paywall; set up different paywall and subscriber levels.
- Deliver user experience - ensure that your site, its images and multimedia content are delivered fast and seamlessly across platforms. Use real-time performance tuning and custom statistics to create and build on better user experiences.
- Control your caching and purging with fine-grained controls. Ability to create business rules for cache expiration synchronized with content publishing, ensuring that the right audience sees the right content at the right time.
- All-in-one performance and API management solution: With the Varnish API Engine, you have a complete package for managing and ensuring the high performance of your media and publishing APIs, creating personalized user experiences and building revenue.
Varnish Software products for media and publishing are used by several high-profile, high-traffic websites including online newspaper sites, such as The New York Times, The Guardian, The Globe and Mail, Die Zeit, Corriere della Sera and many more of the world’s leading media companies.
Visit our case studies page to learn more about the experiences of vg.no, as they implemented Varnish Custom Statistics (VCS), of Faedrelandsvennen, as they implemented Varnish Paywall, RTE, as they scaled for normal and peak traffic with Varnish Cache Plus and VCS and GLOBO, as they looked at caching for speed - find out how Varnish Software solutions can help you.