Enabling high-performance delivery of dynamic content through numerous travel, transportation and hospitality websites and apps to ensure that price- and time-sensitive information lands in the right hands.
Varnish Software solutions for transport, travel and hospitality
Transportation, travel and hospitality is a large and broad catch-all, which can include everything from semi-public entities (such as the organizations operating public transport options and the information infrastructure supporting them) to airlines and travel brokerage websites online, such as Booking.com. In all cases, information on availability, timetables, pricing, promotions, news (e.g., when an accident delays traffic) - and all manner of dynamic content - is changing frequently and rapidly. These kinds of web properties are often consumer-facing and represent a lifeline to accurate information that is critical to the customer experience. In extreme situations, these “lifelines” help to make the extraordinary (such as catastrophic accidents, weather events, strike delays) more ordinary. Real-time information is crucial, and every day, more visitors than ever are coming to transport and travel sites and apps on all kinds of different connected devices.
With rapidly changing data and the need for speed and performance, the transport and travel sector needs both caching for high-performance and granular, flexible caching and purging control to customize around dynamic content. Catering to these needs and ensuring that the tens or hundreds of thousands of daily visitors to busy site gain smooth and fast access will help prevent web traffic jams and better serve users’ unique experiences and demands.
Varnish Plus offers the performance enhancements, flexibility and scalability required at this level, helping you to deliver real-time transport and travel information for stress-free travel and planning.
Varnish Plus for the transportation, travel and hospitality sector helps enable:
- Real-time custom purging to update changing travel and transport data and information
- Web speed and performance as well as device detection to ensure a smooth user experience on any device
- Scalability and high availability to handle whatever number of users visits, even during peak traffic
The Varnish API Engine for transportation, travel and hospitality enables:
- The Varnish API Engine helps you to develop and stay on top of tools and applications that are a part of the new API economy. While many API management tools exist, most have not focused on the increasing importance of API performance. The Varnish API Engine was built for performance and has all the API management features you need: authentication, authorization, metering, throttling and caching. It is a lightweight, fast API management tool that can handle more than 20,000 API calls per second.
- Accelerated web performance and saved resources on server and cloud infrastructure with “intelligent caching”
- Enhance user experience - ensure that your site, its images and real-time travel and timetable data are up-to-date, fast and flexibly managed.
- Provide multiplatform web experience - support any device a user brings to the table
- Boost visibility - anywhere from 51% to 67% of your web traffic comes from organic search (according to recent studies from BrightEdge and Conductor), a growing proportion of this search is happening on mobile (according to Forbes). Speedy website performance counts in search ranking, and is one of the biggest factors in user experience. For travel sites, price will likely win out as the most important decision-making factor, but consumers have choices, particularly with travel brokerage engines - optimize your page load time and overall performance to ensure that they stay on your page.
- Manage your caching and purging flexibly for highly dynamic site content and information. High-performance cache invalidation to trigger custom TTLs for rapidly changing travel data, timetables and pricing information.
- Manage for scalability and high availability: During peak traffic periods, ensure resilience and leave no one without information - reduce outages and always provide last-known-good information in worst case scenario.
- Manage your APIs: Speed and performance become more important all the time as the number of APIs and API calls increase in our API-driven world: particularly in an environment where information changes frequently, and every transaction relies on APIs.
Varnish Software products for the transportation, travel and hospitality sector are used by Transport for London and others in the sector.
Learn even more about the Varnish Plus and Varnish API Engine modules that will help with your travel and transport websites and apps - take a look at our on-demand webinar series. Of interest, cache invalidation strategies, massive data handling, Zipnish for microservices architecture and more.