Akamai Connector for Varnish
Akamai Connector for Varnish
With the Akamai Connector for Varnish, DevOps can improve their Akamai-Varnish integration and seamlessly sync the two for enhanced day-to-day productivity.
What is the Akamai Connector for Varnish?
The Akamai Connector for Varnish has been finely tuned to integrate tightly with the Akamai Intelligent Platform to help Varnish administrators realize an easy way to use the two complementary technologies for maximum benefit.
The Connector serves as a “bridge” between your local environment and the Akamai platform and allows you to integrate data and configuration between an origin Varnish server and the Akamai CDN network.
How it works
The Akamai Connector for Varnish uses the Varnish VMOD extensible framework to add Akamai-specific functionality to instances of Varnish deployed within your infrastructure. It synchronizes your origin and Akamai settings, ensuring that Akamai best practices are implemented consistently and correctly.
How to install it
The installation process is dependent on whether you use open source Varnish or any of the Varnish Software commercial solutions.
There are 2 ways to install the Connector:
• Via package for Varnish Software commercial solutions
• Via source for open source Varnish
Please contact us for more information.
Akamai Connector for Varnish features
The Akamai Connector for Varnish lets you control Akamai features and functionality from within the Varnish Configuration Language (VCL), which boosts your day-to-day productivity and efficiency.
- Automatically signal the effects of cache rule changes to Akamai
- Mark responses as cacheable, or non-cacheable
- Mark responses with the downstream cacheability
- Defer ESI execution
- Translate industry-standard “stale-while-revalidate” to utilize Akamai’s Edge Control & prefresh capabilities
- Automatically synchronize purge requests with Akamai
- Create cache consistency between Varnish at origin and Akamai
- When a script or system purges the Varnish cache locally, the Varnish system synchronously initiates the same purge request to Akamai
- Ensure core operational elements are configured properly
- Configuration of SureRoute test object
- Ensure persistent connections are set to the proper time
- Ensure logging of TrueClient IP values is enabled
Akamai Connector for Varnish benefits
The Akamai Connector for Varnish offers a number of time-saving, efficiency-enhancing benefits that simplify daily operations.
- Provides seamless sync between Akamai and Varnish, dramatically boosting your day-to-day productivity and efficiency, saving time and effort
- Improves/increases consistency and ensures that Akamai best practices are implemented
- Simplifies your work, eliminating duplicative efforts, i.e. by only having to establish cache TTLs and purges once (whereas today, they are set at origin with Varnish and then again on Akamai via API or a portal configuration).
Who is the Akamai Connector for Varnish for?
The Akamai Connector for Varnish is designed for Akamai users who are also Varnish users and want to use Varnish technology as a control interface for certain aspects of Akamai.
The Akamai Connector for Varnish allows you to take advantage of your domain expertise in Varnish to leverage the scalability and performance of the Akamai’s platform within the Varnish VCL interface with which you are already familiar.