Enabling secure, fast e-commerce transactions while keeping your content and offers up-to-date in real time.
Varnish Software solutions for e-commerce
E-commerce purveyors require a fast and smooth user experience in their online retail and selling environments. Ensuring efficiency and performance requires that you constantly care for your e-commerce site. Aberdeen research concluded as far back as 2008 (and reiterated in 2015) that every second of load time on your e-commerce site equals an approximately eight percent abandonment rate, eleven percent drop in page views and a seven percent decrease in conversions. A one-second delay in web response time can also hamper customer satisfaction by up to 16 percent. Even one extra second can add up to lost sales and navigation away from your site. Issues with performance can impact overall revenue by up to nine percent.
Addressing performance issues before customers feel any kind of lag or hindrance is one of your top challenges but focusing on performance upfront can lead to a competitive advantage. Performance has only become more important since the Aberdeen report was written. According to the US Department of Commerce, e-commerce grows by double digits year on year.
The technical complexity enabling e-commerce transactions increases while consumers demand greater simplicity and seamlessness in their e-commerce searches and purchases, including being able to use any device they choose. Consumers want to access information and make purchases quickly. Keeping content current and up-to-date, particularly for large and rapidly changing inventories, is complex and could quickly become inaccurate. With even a moderately complex website structure, which might include multiple versions of your site under different URLs, keeping product articles or SKU numbers updated along with links, pricing and inventory, is a big effort. E-commerce platforms can consume enormous amounts of resources, particularly when your web store has heavy, content-rich pages and a large product inventory that changes frequently. But there are solutions to help manage this complexity and optimize performance and real-time content updates.
Varnish Plus for retail/e-commerce helps enable:
- Real-time custom purging to update changing inventory and offers/pricing
- Web speed and performance to ensure a smooth user experience
- Scalability and high availability to handle whatever level of user traffic and number of customers making purchases through your site
- Device detection to ensure a smooth user experience on any device a customer uses to search for and make purchases
- Security for online purchases
- Optimize performance by configuring Varnish Enhanced Cache Invalidation to keep track of relationships between SKUs and web pages within your CMS and invalidate out-of-date content, i.e. enable the hash to maintain a many-to-many relationship between keys and objects
The Varnish API Engine for retail/e-commerce enables:
- Building of robust, personalized shopping experiences via shopping APIs, e.g., using API data from a retailer to build consumer apps, product information apps, interactive catalogs, recommendation engines, etc.
- Getting control of and managing your APIs as new consumer products are connected, social and commerce-enabled. As the number of API calls increases exponentially, and without proper management, performance will suffer. Get ahead of any speed bumps.
- Boost your bottom line - enhance the user experience, boost visitor loyalty and make it easier for users to buy while you save money on server infrastructure
- Enhance user experience - ensure that your site, its images and real-time product data are up-to-date, fast and flexibly managed. Provide a multiplatform web experience
- Boost visibility - anywhere from 51 to 67 percent of your web traffic comes from organic search (according to recent studies from BrightEdge and Conductor), a growing proportion of this search is happening on mobile (according to Forbes). Speedy performance is one factor that search engines calculate in ranking - speed is also one of the biggest factors in user experience. Amazon calculated that it lost USD 1.6 billion if page load time increased by only one second.
- Manage your caching and purging flexibly for highly dynamic site content and information. High-performance cache invalidation to trigger custom TTLs for publishing content from the CMS to keep pricing and promotional changes up-to-date while gaining efficiencies in resource use. This boosts competitive advantage and enables swift responsiveness to market and condition shifts.
- All-in-one performance and API management solution: With the Varnish API Engine, you have a complete package for managing and ensuring the high performance of your retail and e-commerce APIs, building customer satisfaction with personalization and boosting revenue.
Varnish Software products for e-commerce are used by Nikon, TradeMe, Siba and Ellos. You can learn more about how e-commerce platforms have taken advantage of Varnish Software solutions, including advanced cache invalidation and Varnish Software expert support services.
Sign up for a free trial of Varnish Plus
Learn how to develop a high-performance cache invalidation strategy.
Discover how sheego.de used advanced web caching support and expertise to improve web platform performance, gain efficiencies in monitoring and reduce staff time