Varnish Cache is a popular – and powerful – open source HTTP engine/reverse HTTP proxy.
The cache is often the most critical piece of software for a web-based business. Varnish Cache is a powerful open source HTTP engine/reverse HTTP proxy that can speed up a website by up to 1000 percent by doing exactly what its name implies: caching (or storing) a copy of a webpage the first time a user visits. Varnish Cache visits your server once to cache the page, then all future requests for the same page will be served by Varnish Cache. This means lightning-fast content delivery and fewer backend server resource requirements. Varnish Cache ensures a reduction in backend server load by up to 89 percent while handling an unlimited number of simultaneous visitors.
Features and Benefits
- Speed and performance are the heart of Varnish Cache
- Savings in server infrastructure
- Scalability – no matter the number of visitors or requests, Varnish Cache helps your site match the demand
- Protection against outages—if your server fails, Varnish Cache continues to serve cached content
- Flexibility – Varnish Configuration Language (VCL) builds customized solutions, rules and modules
- Improved end-user experience
Who Should Use Varnish Cache?
Anyone can use Varnish Cache, but it is especially useful for businesses that value speed, performance, scalability, and want to save on server infrastructure.
Varnish Cache is beneficial both to users who need basic functions and to very advanced users who have the expertise, time and resources to build customized modules.
Take a look at our video to learn more about Varnish Cache. For a more in-depth look at Varnish Cache, download our Varnish Book.