Varnish Massive Storage Engine
With the Varnish Massive Storage Engine your Varnish caching layer can now handle multi-terabyte data sets.
Smashing the size constraints of any HTTP caching software available today. It is specially built for the high-performance needs of video distribution, CDNs, and large cache use cases and for businesses in which high performance delivery of large data sets is critical.
Varnish Massive Storage Engine features
- 100+ terabyte storage: Caching of almost unlimited objects means fast and scalable delivery for any video distributor, CDN or large cache applications.
- Fragmentation-proof allocation: Each object is allocated storage in one place, not many, meaning fast retrieval, especially for traditionally lower-cost rotating media.
- Increased cache hit rates: Equipped with ‘least frequently used/least recently used hybrid’ cache eviction algorithm, providing smarter selection criteria within the cache to automatically evict the least-accessed objects when space is needed.
- Optional cache persistence: Cache persistence allows your cache to survive when you need to restart Varnish or when Varnish restarts after a crash. All objects remain in the cache with minimal performance reduction. For big CDNs, an empty cache is a no-go, and reintroducing large cache objects, of the size for which MSE is required, is time-consuming.
Varnish Massive Storage Engine benefits
- Enhanced performance: 20-80% improvement over the ‘file backend’ on large data sets
- Stable cache performance: Allows your Varnish Cache performance to remain stable over time and ensure businesses with large data sets remain on the forefront of performance.
- Preserve with persistence: With the option to use persistence, large data sets are preserved/retained in the cache on forced or unforced restart, leading to greater durability.
- Fast restart: Persistent cache retains cached data from before planned or unplanned starts, avoiding the need for time-consuming reload - full speed ahead, with little to no downtime.
- Backend relief: Varnish servers can be rebooted without adding significant strain to backends, avoiding failures due to a large number of backend requests.
Who should use the Varnish Massive Storage Engine?
If your storage and content serving needs are indeed massive, as the name implies, you undoubtedly need the Varnish Massive Storage Engine, which was designed specifically for the high-performance needs of video distribution, CDNs, and large cache use cases. Examples include image banks, retailers with large data sets, storage of historical financial data and businesses where high-performance delivery of large data sets is critical.
Also, for anyone who has large data sets they need to persist across planned or unplanned restarts, MSE with persistence can offer considerable time savings and contribute to making Varnish Plus an even stronger offering for caching large amounts of data.
Varnish Massive Storage Engine is built to be future-proof, allowing enterprises to deliver high-quality content to customers while pushing the bounds of modern web experience delivery.